Yacht Club History

This page is under development! Last updated on 12/26/22 .

The club now known as the ‘Port Jefferson yacht Club’ was originally founded in late 1959 as the ‘Setauket Yacht Club’. The first By-Laws were accepted on October 7th, 1959. There was already a PJYC at the time, but that club’s focus was power boats, and  the new SYC was focused on sailing.  Today, both types of mariners are equally welcome. Here are dates of some major milestones:

  • 1959 – October 7 – Club Founded as the ‘Setauket Yacht Club’. The name was in honor of the native tribe the ‘Setalcott’ who originally inhabited the region, although the club was never located in the ‘Hamlet of Setauket’ nearby. The club burgee has arrowheads on it: 
  • 1959 – The club used the Oldfield Lighthouse building for its first meetings:

  • 1977 – Next ‘Club House’ acquired which was actually a used Ferry Boat that was originally run between Delaware and New Jersey.  She was originally the ‘New York’,  then the ‘Norfolk’ and ran between Norfolk and Hampton VA. Then she was the ‘Newport’ running between Newport and Jamestown RI. In 1969 she was sold to the city of Pawtucket where she was used as a youth art colony. A few members recall sailing school boats being stored in the car deck!
  • 1980 – The Ferry was sold to the DiMillo family who still operates her as a floating restaurant in Portland Maine.  You can see some history at their website: https://www.dimillos.com/about-us/history/
  • 1981 – A new (and our current) clubhouse was constructed. This was right next to large fuel storage tanks (which are long gone).

Clubhouse in 2022

  • 2009 – The club celebrated its 50th Anniversary. See the slideshow for that event by clicking the image on the right. It has more history and pictures.
  • 2015 – August 21 – Club renamed to ‘Port Jefferson-Setauket
    Yacht Club Inc. d/b/a Port Jefferson Yacht Club‘ as there had not been a PJYC in many years and we were never located in Setauket, which caused confusion for visiting cruisers.
  • 2022 – After several years of planning, Docks & Floats Director Alan Johnson led a major upgrade to our docks.  This added proper slips for members and expanded the number of transient guest spots available, turning us into a proper marina facility.

2022 Dock Expansion

  • 2024 – We completed a second major expansion of our docks, adding another 18 slips for members!

2024 Dock Expansion